All boats and yachts must be registered for use in Australian waters. If you do not intend to take your boat or yacht 200 nautical miles from Australian shores, you only need to need to register with your local state, similar to registering a car. Please follow the below links for more details.
- NSW Transport Maritime
- Maritime Safety Queensland
- Transport Safety Victoria
- Department of Transport WA
- Government of South Australia
- Maritime and Safety Tasmania
- Northern Territory Transport Group
If you intend to sail your boat or yacht overseas or further 200 nauctical miles from Australian Shores, you are required to register with the Australian Shipping Registration Office.
Australian Shipping Registration Office
Postal Address Location
GPO Box 2181 82 Northbourne Avenue
Canberra City ACT 2601 Braddon ACT 2612
Tel: + 61 2 6279 5925
Fax: + 61 2 6279 5922